Growing up in West Africa Ghana.

Growing up in West Africa Ghana.

Claudia Ennin, Writer

GROWING UP IN WEST AFRICA

Our culture, our traditions, our language are the foundations upon which we build our identity. Most people know Africa as a continent which consists of other countries and a few people even think Africa is a country on it own. Do you know of an African country called Ghana? What do you know about Ghana? After few  questions from my friends, I got to realize not everyone has an idea about Africa. So, I decided to write this article to know the public’s opinion and also to let others that have no idea about West Africa Ghana have little knowledge about Ghana.

Peaceful country with peaceful people.  Ghana is a republic country found in West Coast of Africa. Is rich in natural resources such as gold, timber, diamond, silver, cocoa , bauxite and many more. Each of these ten regions has different traditions; Ashanti region, Eastern region, Brong-Ahafo region, Greater Accra, Central region, Northern region, Western region, Upper East region, Upper West region, and Volta region . The largest ethnic group in Ghana is Akan. Most at times Ghanaians are been taken to be a country where it’s citizens do not study English which is wrong. English is my country’s official language learnt from our colonial masters British followed up with our nine languages known as Ghanaian language. Twi, Ewe, Dangme, Ga, Nzema, Kasem , and Gonja are the nine languages Ghanaians have and are derived from some African languages such as Nigeria and Ivory Coast. What most people did not really know about Ghana was that it is a Motherland and we do study French as our sub language.          

Ghana a country with proud citizens who take their culture and tradition so serious. Amaiah Sydnor speaks, “ I do not know much about Ghana, but I know it is fun to be there, and Ghanaians are strong people who cherish their culture; they also have strict parents that expect more from their children which makes them put a lot of efforts in whatever they do. I would love to visit Ghana or any African Country.” Amaiah has a point and I’m not approving that because I’m an African or a Ghanaian, but I have an experience. One is not allowed to go out of the house and come as late as 12pm in an African home because you would be slapped or hit so deep it would be a day you would never forget. Unlike Western parents most of them do not hit their children, not talking less of using anything  on them such as wire, charging cord, stick or anything because kids could sue or call the cops on their parents. Funny it is for an African  child to call on cops for his or her parents in such condition because is not done. All these actions are represented as “discipline” which every Ghanaian is aware of such discipline. Culture is our priority. Slavery no longer exists it’s a very peaceful country. I’m  a Ghanaian teenage girl who is proud of it race and I believe few others in this building also do even though most African Americans are sometimes unaware of who they are and where they are from.

I know you have been asking yourself why most Ghanaians or Africans add “please” to most of their daily talk. This is the secret, being a Ghanaian  you are  trained to respect every individual and use the word “PLEASE” to begin a statement or a question or should I say when greeting elderly people. I smile whenever close my eyes to remember when I was in elementary and middle school in Ghana; my class used to respond, “Yes please” to questions teachers ask as compared to here when we just say “yes” as  respond to a teacher or elderly person.  Then are the days when you see an elderly person you have to go down with one leg and greet the elderly person if he or she has a load with him; you have to give a helping hand to the elderly person to his or her home. Unlike here in America receiving and giving out something with either hands is habitual while  in Africa or in Ghana is an insult for one to receive and give with the left hand. The culture in Africa is really strong; you should not be surprised with the character of an African or Ghanaian when you meet one.  Albert Anderson, a Ghanaian citizen in 11th grade speaks confidently, “ I’m very proud to be a Ghanaian and I love my root. I have learnt a lot from being a Ghanaian such us not receiving or giving anything with the left hand. My most experience in Africa was when I was beaten because I failed to bring my homework to school. And I believe we have less freedom than citizens here in America ; that could even curse before their parents and show all attitudes.” He also adds, “ Ghana is a wealthy and privileged country with citizens that brings God first in everything.” Albert being a proud citizen said it all.

Beauty is not all about appearance, is about what is seen inside and outside of a girl to be known as a lady.  It can be proved by majority that high rate of teenage girls in America do not love to be in the kitchen or work on any house choice. Growing up as a teenage girl, elders believe every girl has to be at the kitchen with her mother to help her with cooking. Back in the days, It was known guys were meant for school while women were supposed to be at the kitchen. Funny it is, but is no more done today due to modern world advancement. But it is a must for every teenage girl to know how to cook and maintain the house. My mother would say “A girl that can not cook is not a lady not talking less of calling her an African lady or in other words a lady.” Cooking is one huge benefit  I have learnt as a Ghanaian teenage girl. I do cook for my dad and he is proud of me because he enjoys my meals so much. Elders would  say, “Beauty is not everything that makes a lady a marriage material, She has to be full of respect, culture and know a duty of a lady.” Ghanaian parents prepare their kids more for the future not only with education at school but life experience, respect, pure heart, religious belief and strong belief of heritage in other for them to fight hard for what they want. Our culture is the main secrets behind our achievements today.

Now let’s look at some comments made during my interaction with lovely people of this school. Natalia, Victoria and Alexxandria give their ideas,  “ Ghana is an African country though I would not like to visit there. Comparing African countries to America , Africans really have poor economy. They are really poor that is all I can say about Africa but I would like to know more about Africa other than what I know.” Majority like this lovely ladies are the ones I would like for them to have a different idea about Africa and know more positive things about Africa since they know nothing much about Africa or Ghana. Sure Natalia , Victoria and Alexxandria hope reading this could extend your idea about Africa and after reading you would like to visit because Ghana or other African countries  is not as poor as you imagine it to be. I believe some of what television programs show about Africa is what made them talk of Africans being very poor which is not all African countries but few and most live a very comfortable life like we do here.

One beautiful freshman, Brianna Queen, speaks her opinion, “Most of we Americans do not know much about Africa we always concern about our country and think America is the only country in the world. Africans are more experienced with real life and they know the struggle teenagers knowing more about African country would be really good.” I’m proud Brianna gave this comment because is a fact. I got to know most students of Tuscarora have less knowledge about Africa because most teenagers are not actually interested to know about Africa.

One  beautiful couple Troy Hilliard and Annie Coli gave their side of knowledge, Troy speaks, “ I do not know of any African country not talking less about Ghana. Most television programs makes it look like  life in Africa is really bad. They make us exaggerate everyone in Africa is sick.” Annie concludes, “I’m a proud African. The culture in Africa is rich ,their dance is so uplifting I love their dance. Growing up in an African household is strict but they just want the best for me.” Annie is half a Ghanaian half a Liberian and she is really proud of her race  and ready to defend it at anytime. She is right, living in an African home is really strict but all they want from you is the best. It might seem  pressured  in an African home to always do things correctly and perfect, but it is for our own benefit. Getting low grades in Africa is one thing you would not wish for , is a nightmare because you would be disciplined by both teachers and your parents in order to be a good student with good grades since both parties are so concerned about your grades. Unlike Western teachers,they do not have that full authority to discipline students.

Our own noble principal Mark Smith contributes, “Yes I know of many African countries and I have heard of Ghana. I believe television programs do not influence me that much about Africa because I do read a lot , have a lot of friends from Africa who can give me answers to my questions other than what the media says. Comparing Western children to African children, I would agree Africans are more discipline when it comes to studies. They take education more serious knowing is a big opportunity for them so they would not like to lose it.” Mr. Kibler comment has a point , there are a lot of opportunities here in America than Africa, therefore an African that gets the chance to be here sees to it he takes advantage of the opportunities here knowing is of a great benefit to him or her. In Africa high school is not free as compared to here so mostly students find it difficult to continue schooling due to lack of finance and no child at the age of 16 or 18 can work at a place such as Mcdonald’s or KFC.

Kayla and  Chance Johnson cooperates, “ I have a lot of African friends that would be a reason for me to know of any African country. I have also heard of Ghana and I would love to visit there and other African countries. But the media mostly makes life in Africa look really poor, they have nothing to eat and there is war in every part of Africa.” Moving on to one of our coaches , Mr.Hombach he speaks , “ Of course I have heard of some African countries and also heard of Ghana but the media do not show true presentation of Africa. I believe more studies about Africa to children would be a good idea and must be expressed in history classes and cultural quizzes must be encouraged.I would love to visit Egypt and  Cote d’ivoire. Most Africans have a lot of respect towards elderly people and family.” Coach Hombach said exactly what I had in mind but not only the children but every individual in this school. It was a big surprise for me to interview almost five teachers and they had no idea about any African country. If a teacher knows nothing about a country how an a student have the idea? That is the question we have to ask ourselves and get to know , knowing about other countries outside America is a good thing other than always thinking of our own selves.  

An African Queen, Kemi Adeyemi from Nigeria contributes, “I used to be one kind of person that did not appreciate it race but after my  trip to Nigeria if I were given the chance to visit Africa I would take it in a heartbeat. I miss Africa. But anyway  Nigerian jollof is better than Ghana jollof.” I’m lighthearted with this comment from Kemi, as she said she used not to appreciate her race which I believe a lot of people are in the same condition as at now but after her experience in Africa she did and I hope you would also appreciate your race someday if you do not really cherish your root. Talking of jollof ,is an African dish made by both Nigerians and Ghanaians. Jollof is a kind of dish that brings a kind of bond between this two countries which is really fun getting to know all about this but I refute her point to say Ghana jollof is better than Nigerian jollof (LOL) and I hope you would try both some day.

Africa is a continent and Ghana is a country with a strong cultural heritage. Said a lot and hope you learnt something about Africa Ghana. Africa though is a third continent it is rich in culture and natural resources. I’m  a Ghanaian teenage girl who is proud of it race and I believe few others in this building also do even though most African Americans are sometimes not proud of who they are and where they are from. As shown in this pictures indicates how Africans learn and embrace other cultures which brings together everyone as one family with great inspiration.