THS Teacher of the Year: Mrs. Geerlings!!!

Ashlyn Hurley, Editor

Every school in Frederick County nominates a Teacher of the Year. Those who are selected go onto the county level of competition and a select few will go on to state and even national levels of Teacher of the Year competition. The process for nominating teacher of the year at THS was very democratic. Many schools make these decisions at the administrative levels, but here at THS, Mr. Kibler wanted the staff to be the ones who selected and then voted on our teacher of the year. The winner was announced at this past Monday’s faculty meeting and was presented with a gift certificate and a bouquet of flowers.

Mrs. Geerlings, received a warm round of applause when she was announced as this years’ Teacher of the Year nominee. We caught up with Mrs. Geerlings for a brief interview and here’s what she had to say:

Q: How long have you been teaching?

Mrs. G: 32 years!

Q: Where else have you taught?

Mrs. G: I taught in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania at a Junior High School that then turned into a middle school and that’s when I got out. I then went to TJ where I taught for 17 years before coming to Tuscarora the second year it was open.

Q: What subjects have you taught?

Mrs. G: I’ve taught pretty much every single science class offered in Frederick County at one time or another. Presently I am teaching Chemistry, AP Chemistry and, when it runs, ESSR.

Q: What else have you done as a teacher or science professional?

Mrs. G: Well, I’m the ELO science tutor, I am also the Science Master Teacher for Frederick County Public Schools which means I mentor young science teachers, and I also work with the American Meteorological Society to provide certification credits to FCPS science teachers looking at Data Streme Oceans.

Q: Wow, sounds like you’re busy?

Mrs. G: Very

Q: So how did you feel about receiving the nomination for Teacher of the Year for THS?

Mrs. G: Anytime you get recognized for your commitment and your passion for this business it is an incredibly good feeling and and incredible honor. But, there’s also a part of me that knows how many amazing teachers we have in this building doing amazing things everyday and I wish there were more ways to recognize them for all the great things they do.

We here at the Titan Times and throughout our school community would like to congratulate Mrs. Geerlings for receiving the Teacher of the Year award and we wish her the best of luck moving forward in the Teacher of the Year selection process at the county and state levels.

Way to go Mrs. G!!! Make us proud!