THS Teacher of the Year: Mrs. Geerlings!!!

Ashlyn Hurley, Editor

Every school in Frederick County nominates a Teacher of the Year. Those who are selected go onto the county level of competition and a select few will go on to state and even national levels of Teacher of the Year competition. The process for nominating teacher of the year at THS was very democratic. Many schools make these decisions at the administrative levels, but here at THS, Mr. Kibler wanted the staff to be the ones who selected and then voted on our teacher of the year. The winner was announced at this past Monday’s faculty meeting and was presented with a gift certificate and a bouquet of flowers.

Mrs. Geerlings, received a warm round of applause when she was announced as this years’ Teacher of the Year nominee. We caught up with Mrs. Geerlings for a brief interview and here’s what she had to say:

Q: How long have you been teaching?

Mrs. G: 32 years!

Q: Where else have you taught?

Mrs. G: I taught in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania at a Junior High School that then turned into a middle school and that’s when I got out. I then went to TJ where I taught for 17 years before coming to Tuscarora the second year it was open.

Q: What subjects have you taught?

Mrs. G: I’ve taught pretty much every single science class offered in Frederick County at one time or another. Presently I am teaching Chemistry, AP Chemistry and, when it runs, ESSR.

Q: What else have you done as a teacher or science professional?

Mrs. G: Well, I’m the ELO science tutor, I am also the Science Master Teacher for Frederick County Public Schools which means I mentor young science teachers, and I also work with the American Meteorological Society to provide certification credits to FCPS science teachers looking at Data Streme Oceans.

Q: Wow, sounds like you’re busy?

Mrs. G: Very

Q: So how did you feel about receiving the nomination for Teacher of the Year for THS?

Mrs. G: Anytime you get recognized for your commitment and your passion for this business it is an incredibly good feeling and and incredible honor. But, there’s also a part of me that knows how many amazing teachers we have in this building doing amazing things everyday and I wish there were more ways to recognize them for all the great things they do.

We here at the Titan Times and throughout our school community would like to congratulate Mrs. Geerlings for receiving the Teacher of the Year award and we wish her the best of luck moving forward in the Teacher of the Year selection process at the county and state levels.

Way to go Mrs. G!!! Make us proud!

4 Comments

4 Responses to “THS Teacher of the Year: Mrs. Geerlings!!!”

1. Tracey Paul on February 2nd, 2017 12:16 am

First I would like to say that I had Mrs. G for Chemistry back in HS at T-ro and she is a big burst of energy! Mrs. G made sure that the class was fun and everyone was engaged in the material. It was because of Mrs.G that I enjoyed Chem, so big ups to her for that. Plus she’s just an awesome teacher and I was glad to see that she received the Teacher of the Year Award. Congrats Mrs. G. you earned it!
    Sincerely the one and only,
    Tracey Paul

[Reply]

Elizabeth Geerlings Reply:

Tracey Paul you just made my day! (Just like back in the day!)
    Thank you for your kindness and for taking the time to post this comment. Students like you make my job enjoyable and keep me in bright spirit. <3
    Momma G

[Reply]

2. Billy Mills on February 2nd, 2017 11:15 pm

It’s fitting that I am reading this article sitting in a hotel room in Madison, Wisconsin where I am staying for a weekend-long interview/recruitment for a biochemistry program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. It is fitting because it was Mrs. Geerlings’ AP Chemistry class at Tuscarora High School that inspired me to pursue scientific research. I have no doubt that I would not be sitting in this nice (fully paid) hotel room in Madison if it weren’t for Mrs. Geerlings. I couldn’t be happier that she is being recognized for the amazing teacher she was to me and still is for many students today. Congrats Mrs. G!!

[Reply]

Elizabeth Geerlings Reply:

Billy Mills,
    Wow! It is wonderful to hear from you! It makes me unbelievably happy to know that you are reaping the benefits of all the hard work you put into AP Chemistry. Keep moving forward and making us look good! <3 MsG

[Reply]

• THS Teacher of the Year: Mrs. Geerlings!!!

Lifestyle

Fun at Oktoberfest!

Academics

Mr. Berry gets his hands dirty…

News

Understanding the Korean nuclear threat.

Athletics

Titans Varsity Football dominates Friars 42-6 in Home Opener!

News

Welcome Back Titans!!!!

News

Say Hello to Mr. Berry!

News

Hurricane Irma: A Devil Cloaked in Wind and Rain

News

DACA Repeal

Lifestyle

Fidgets: Help or Hinder?

News

Yearbook Update