Playing in the Heat

Larissa Pena, Writer

On April 18, Tuscarora’s girls’ varsity lacrosse played against one of our biggest rivals, Urbana, on the hottest day of the season so far. Not only was the temperature at a high, but the intensity and tension between the two teams was as well. Last year Urbana beat Tuscarora with an overwhelming 18 to 6 win, leaving Urbana confident that they could do it once again this year. Thinking it would be an easy win; Urbana decided to choose Tuscarora as the team they played for their senior night, giving Tuscarora all the more drive and motivation to want to win this game.

At the opening draw of the game Urbana came up with the ball, and was able to maintain most of the possession during the first half. After an exhausting and heated first half, the Hawks were leading the Titans 6-4. Although Tuscarora was losing, they did not lose hope, as this game reminded them of their win over Frederick where they were down 7-4 at half and still managed to come back. The Titans knew it would be tough to come back, but each member of the team had the same goal and determination to meet it.

Half time was over and everyone was now refueled and ready to give their all. Starting the second half off strong, the Titans won the beginning draw, giving Urbana a run for their money. The game was tied, and the intensity level was one greater than most of these girls had ever experienced in a high school game. Both teams wanted the win, both teams had an equal chance, but only one was able to achieve it. With great teamwork, attitude, and fortitude, the Tuscarora girls’ lacrosse team was able to walk away with an 11-8 win and a smile on each of their faces.