What’s It Like? Post high school experiences of THS alumni

Megan Forte, Editor

Arizona State University- Angie Hanshaw

Imagine going to a school that has over 80,000 students, and is over 2,200 miles from home. Would you be overwhelmed? Homesick? Or would you have fun and enjoy the independence? Angie Hanshaw explains her experience attending a large school that’s also very far away.

Angie Hanshaw, after graduating from Tuscarora in the spring of 2014, began school at ASU in the fall.  Her decision to attend was actually very spontaneous, as she was already committed to Washington College in Maryland before even applying to ASU. It wasn’t until she went to visit family friends in the spring of senior year that they gave her the idea to apply. In May, after being accepted, she went to visit the school, and fell in love.  Angie comments that “college is an opportunity to go literally wherever you want in the world with no serious binds/commitments to a family, career, etc.” She saw the opportunity to take a chance- very well aware that she could hate the school once she got there. However, she couldn’t pass up the opportunity, so she dropped the school in Maryland and did “something angieunpredictable”.

To many, the incredible size of the school may seem daunting. At first, Angie felt the same way, and was intimidated by so many strange faces. After some adjusting, she “learned to have an open mind and appreciate the dynamic atmosphere that ASU offers”. Knowing every person you see can become quite limiting, and Angie is able to meet many people just simply walking around campus. Also, a big school means an unforgettable football season experience. Because of the large student body, there are also tons of organizations to get involved in and clubs available to join. However, there are some negatives to attending such a large school. Lecture halls generally have hundreds of students in them, and professors do not know you on a personal level. They do not engage or interact with students, nor do they check in to make sure your grades are not dropping. Classes can also fill very quickly so it can be difficult to sign up for the classes required for your majors/minors.

One huge downfall, if not the biggest downfall, is the distance from home. Even though Angie has gotten used to the distance, she does miss home. According to Angie, “it’s never any easier and never will be”. However, she has learned so much from the experience, and has grown significantly as a person. Being completely on her own has been a huge reality check, and she has gained a remarkable amount of independence and self-reliance. Angie says that “whang2ile being thousands of miles from home is quite the sacrifice, it’s a sacrifice that comes with many rewards”. The amount of opportunities at ASU is also a huge positive. They have a fantastic business school with many opportunities to double major or double minor. She entered the school as an economics major, and is currently changing to a Supply Chain Management Major and a Business Sustainability Minor, both of which she knew very little about when starting at the school.

Angie’s advice to current college-bound seniors is to make sure to get involved in whatever college you go to. No matter where you go or how far you are, the transition from high school to college can be tough. You can replace the “sense of belonging you felt at home with one you gain from your new home in college”. She also encourages students to go to a school far away, and to take the chance like she did. “You never want to be sitting at home and asking yourself, ‘what if’, right? Be bold, and be brave!” –Angie Hanshaw