Where are they now?!?! Interviews with former Titans.

Megan Forte, Editor

Allison Cook

Class of 2008

Allison in 2008
Allison now (posing in her kiln)

1. What is your current profession?

I currently run my own pottery and woodworking business called Delaney Clay Art.

2. What year did you graduate? Were you here for all four years of high school?

I graduated from THS in 2008 and I was there four years.

3. What do you remember most about Tuscarora High School? What were some of your favorite memories?

I’m going to be honest here; I don’t remember all that much about high school. It’s one of those experiences, for me at least, that I tend to block out as I grow older. But I do remember loving playing field hockey and taking art classes. High school is where I came to realize that I wanted a career in the arts.

4. Who were some of your favorite teachers? Are any of them still currently working here?

Again, I don’t remember many of my teachers from high school, but I do remember many of them encouraging me in everything I did, and they were always willing to take time with me if I needed help.

5. Were you a good student in high school?

I was a good student; I always came to class and did my work.

6. When did you decide to become your current profession?

I always knew I wanted a career in the visual arts. My love of photography started as a freshman in high school, but it wasn’t until I was at Frostburg that I knew I wanted to go into ceramics as well. After graduating I got a job at Frederick Community College as the art studio manager. While working at FCC I also interned for Chris Cooley at his gallery in Leesburg and was a studio assistant for a local sculptor by the name of Paul Rhymer. Sadly though after two and a half years of hard work and dedication I was not rehired at FCC for the job I initially helped to design. But I didn’t let that stop me! I now own my own pottery and woodworking business called Delaney Clay Art. I travel around Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and D.C. selling my one-of-a-kind, handmade ceramics and wood-turned wares.

7. If you attended college, what college did you attend? What did you major in? If not, what did you do after high school?

Photo 2
A sample of Allison’s work

After leaving THS, I attended Frederick Community College for two and a half years. Then, starting in the spring of 2011, I started at Frostburg State University, where in the fall of 2012 I received a bachelor’s degree in art and design with a concentration in photography and ceramics with a minor in art history.

8. What does a typical day consist of for you?

Basically my day is what every 12-year-old kid dreams about. I play with mud and fire!! I usually go into my studio in the morning to start making pottery or I may turn some wood on the lathe. Then in the afternoon I may fire a kiln or look up craft and art shows to enter. Weekends, I might be off at a show selling my art or firing wood or soda kilns. There is never a day off when you are running your own business.

9. What sort of hobbies do you enjoy?                                             

I am a woman of limited interests. My life mainly consists of working on pottery, woodworking, and the occasional photography job. But when I do have free time and the weather is right, I love snowboarding.

10. Based on your life experiences, what is one piece of advice you would give to a current Tuscarora student?

I have a few pieces of advice for current students. First off always work hard, no one is going to hand you anything in life and you should not expect them too. Second, try to pull yourself away from social media and experience life as it’s happening firsthand. And finally, may the force be with you!