Procrastination (Part 1)

Samantha Rearick, Writer

Feeling as if anything that you actually try to accomplish never gets done? Is it because you actually aren’t trying to put the effort into doing the particular assignment that is due in a week, but you don’t feel as if you want to complete is right now? Or later? I’m sure we’ve all been there, even I’ve been there- including now with the creation of this article. Say hello to the common friend and foe called procrastination. The one that still sticks around even if you don’t want it to, the one that never got away (And the one that will make your good grade go away). Asking and begging for yourself to gain the motivation to blow that assignment a week before it’s due, and not the night before it’s due to save you all the stress for the week in between. So how do you get out of the cycle of this lazy habit and actually get some work done? Here are some tips to follow:

Cut Off Distractions- Sometimes there will be things around you that just seem so entertaining… You can’t help yourself but focus on that particular thing instead of what you actually need to do. Cut it out. Snap back to reality (Oh, there goes gravity).

For example, music. No matter how tempting it may be to sing to the lyrics of a song that’s been stuck in your head all day- do not play it. Any songs with lyrics can also distract you from the task at hand. Instead, consider music without any lyrics such as classical or acoustics.

Recognize what you need to do- Even though you may be aware of what you need to do, perhaps your mind can’t wrap around the fact of how important the task is, causing such a delay on the project until the day before the due date. What could truly help is focusing on what exactly needs to be done- make a to do list. Write down the steps you need to take to finish it so you can recognize the importance and maybe, just maybe, get something completed on time.

(Eh, to be continued…)
Source(s):
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Procrastinating

(Maybe I should be taking notes on this)