Cultures and Cuisines: Cupcake Edition

Reid Dugan, Senior Editor

Cultures and Cuisines is a class held at THS that is open to all Tuscarora students. It involves learning about different countries and their famous cuisines. The students get to cook multiple recipes from all the different countries they learn about. For example, the third week of the class the students cooked a Canadian meal called a Tourtiere . It is similar to a shepherd’s pie in the way that it is filled with meat and mashed potatoes and encrusted with a flaky pie crust. It was very delicious and educational yet interesting to cook. A normal week in Cultures and Cuisines is cooking 3-4 days a week and occasionally taking notes and tests on the cultures and traditions of countries around the world. But, the tests are not that challenging and it is actually interesting to learn about the food and prepare food from across the world. There are recipes that we do for fun and yet still learn something out of it. On Tuesday, April 12-13 the students made vanilla cupcakes. The first day, they baked sixteen cupcakes using a basic Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake recipe. It was very delicious and the vanilla flavor really stood out. The second day the students got to practice their icing techniques and make flowers using marshmallows, colored sugar, or colored icing. It was a great way for the students to get creative and make the food look like art. I encourage you to try the recipe and use your creativity to make a beautiful and appealing cupcake on your own!

Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake Recipe:

1c. Sugar

1 ¾ c. cake flour

1 ½ t. Baking powder

½ t. Baking soda

½ t. Salt

¼ c. unsalted butter (room temperature)

2 large eggs

⅓ c. full-fat sour cream

¼ c. canola oil

1 T. & ½ t. Vanilla

⅔ c. whole milk

1. In a bowl for your stand mixer, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix until well combined.
  2. Add the butter and mix on medium-low for about 3 minutes. You should end up with a very fine crumb texture.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil and vanilla until smooth.
  4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
  5. Slowly add milk and mix on low speed until just combined. The batter will be liquid.
  6. Fill the cupcake liners just over ½ full
  7. Bake for 14 minutes and test to see if they are done. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean. They should appear white, not golden brown. Test every 2 minutes if they are done.

Buttercream Icing Recipe:

½ c. butter, salted

½ c. shortening (white crisco)

1 lb. confectioner’s sugar (3 ¾ c.)

2 t. Vanilla

2 T. milk

1. With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together until smooth.
  2. Add confectioner’s sugar, a little at a time alternating with the vanilla and milk.
  3. Mix for several minutes, remembering to scrape down the side and bottom of bowl once in awhile to make sure it is well blended.