Class of 2016 Graduation

Lauren Mongeau, Writer

On June 4, 2016 the senior class of Tuscarora High School graduated at Mount Saint Mary’s University. I was able to attend, experience the ceremony, and was delighted to see my fellow titans say their final goodbye. For those of you who have not attended a Tuscarora graduation, you cannot understand the monumental feeling of walking through the arena’s doors and seeing the countless numbers of proud family members, friends, and staff that surround you.  

Out of the many proud faces that were on stage and in the audience during the ceremony, there were many familiar faces that stood out: Tuscarora’s principal Mr. Kibler, FCPS superintendent Dr. Alban, the Student Member of the Board Sarah Perez, Mrs. Watts and Mrs. Palmer. These names are just a handful of all of the individuals who were not only there to witness the graduation, but helped with the actual ceremony. The Nationals Honor Society members and their advisor Ms. Crowell, helped with passing out programs and directing families to their reserved seating.

Once the ceremony began, everyone was welcomed by senior class president Katrina Reyes, and later heard Heather Woodruff’s farewell address. We were delighted with performances from the Tuscarora Concert Choir as well as the Tuscarora Concert Band, but it was the performance of senior (now Tuscarora Alumni) Joby (Joshua) Tanseco that brought out the emotions in the audience. As always, Joby managed to put a smile on the audience’s faces, with his witty charm and incredibly touching voice singing “Stop This Train” by John Mayer. Once Joby took the stage, it felt like all the anxiety in the room diffused and we were once again reminded why we were there, to celebrate how far this incredible class had come, and furthermore to celebrate their inextinguishable futures.

The graduating class of 2016 was not the first, nor will it be the last, graduating class of Tuscarora, but their incredible achievements and attitudes have become a staple in Tuscarora High School, and will surely be an everlasting legacy.